Monday, February 2, 2009

Who Knew?

It's been a new learning experience, the joys of pregnancy! Awaiting fatherhood is like no other feeling on earth at least until the little bean is born. You can think about the day, for days, and wonder what you may feel the day you find out you'll soon be a father. But nothing ever prepares you. You realize, wow! I'm going to be father, but all the talk and excitement never really set in, until that first ultra sound, until your wife's belly begins to grow, until that little bean starts kicking the crap out of your wife's ribcage.
My dad and I spent Saturday morning in Babies R Us exchanging our changing table and he asked me "Dude has any of this even set in?" it was probably the glazed look on my face or maybe just the fact that I was up at 9:30 and standing in Babies R Us that invoked the the question. My response was "you can never really be prepared for this experience, once it starts, everything goes out the window". I can read all the books necessary, and make all the changes needed to our home, and take all the baby preparation class, but until our baby is born, we can never know enough. What I do know is that Tobi has been a champ, other then a couple late night cherry pie runs, a pantry full of macaroni n cheese and the occasional foot massage, she has been absolutely fabulous!!! Did I mention, there is nothing sexier than a pregnant wife!! FYI...This has nothing to due with the extended mammary glands. Just knowing that Tobi has taken on this task, to carry our child for 10 months, go through a complete body metamorphosis and tackle the most grueling pain she will ever encounter is the sweetest and most loving gift any man can ever receive, thank you Tobias, I love you with all of my heart!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to cry!

Auntie Kelli

Anonymous said...

I think I will join Auntie Kelli and cry.....I beleive Nick has taken a huge step...giving kudos to his wife... RIGHT ON...plus realizing you are never prepared... it is a road you have to travel... Having a child is a life experience. If you can remember two things.. JUST ALWAYS DO YOUR BEST....AND DONT'T BEAT YOURSELF UP. You both will make mistakes.... but you learn from them. There is no such thing as a perfect parent... children are not perfect. I think by the time you have parenting down and figured out... your own kids start to have their own and you get to be a grandparent..... those are the best days...

XOXO
mom