Thursday, October 23, 2008

We have our midwife!

On Monday Knox and I visited South Coast Midwifery and met Lorri and Angela, the two midwifes that do home births. They're both tremendously qualified (nurse practitioners AND certified nurse midwifes) and very spiritual. Three or four people I knew gave ringing endorsements for the staff at SCM and as soon as we arrived, we felt well taken care of. The package that we purchased includes a LOT...pre-natal visits for my entire 3rd trimester (although I'll continue with my visits at Kaiser in case there are any complications), 3 pre-delivery classes (baby basics, non-hospital birth info and breastfeeding), anything and everything you could imagine for the birth itself (water birth, home visits prior to labor, all of the necessary equipment, you name it) and 6 weeks of postnatal care for me after the baby's born. Once they're at the birth with us, should anything happen, they're both qualified to administer IV's and medications, and do any sort of medical procedure needed short of a C-section.

While we were waiting, they showed us a portion of "The Business of Being Born," a documentary all about the horrible state of hospital births in the US...the cycle of inducing labor, epidurals and C-sections. One in three women have C-sections in hospitals. Less than 1% of SCM's mom's ever need to be transferred to the hospital, leaving a pretty clear indication that the majority of C-sections that take place are not needed. Another fun fact: the majority of C-sections in the U.S. take place at 4pm and 10pm, when doctors want to get home for dinner or don't want to invest in the all-nighter. They tell the moms that they're not progressing as they should and for the "good of the baby," they'd better do a C-section. PLEASE go watch this poignant documentary.

At SCM they believe that "the way you live your life is the way you birth your babies." That makes so much sense to me and really gave me a fresh perspective on this whole process... I CAN do a natural, at home, spiritual birth because that's how I live my life. Please don't fear that I'm diluting myself into believing that it's going to be easy, but I do know that I can handle it. My mother in-law, who had 4 vaginal births, did 2 of them all natural and just KNEW that it was the right. After her first two births, she determined that the drugs altered her experience and did the last 2 natural. After giving birth 4 times, I'd say she has some experience and we should all listen!

So if you're interested, check out their website: http://www.southcoastmidwifery.com/

13 week pics on the way! My uterus is undeniably getting bigger!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Grandma Gail is so excited for all 3 of you!!!! Plus I am also excited to be a Grandma again!!! There is nothing better in this world than being a grandma... I feel so rich and blessed. I am also very happy for Grandpa Bob and Grandma Sue.... they are in for some of the best emotions they will ever feel. Thanks for telling everyone about my 4 births!!!! When I had Neal, natural childbirth was just coming into the scene and it really depended upon your doctor. When I had Nick I was determined to do it naturally. But I didn't like the hospital regulations. Then when I had Andrea and Ashley I went to the Riverside Birthing Center and it was fantastic. Neal and Nick both saw their sister being born, Neal was down there with the doctor ready to catch her, and then I felt this little tap on my shoulder and it was Nick and he said "Can I kiss her", and I said of course...... But I was fortunate to have hips that spread. LOLOL
There are some things in life that you can not teach or really explain. One is childbirth. You can read 1000 books and watch a millon videos, but everyone is different and so is their pain level. You can do great for 10 hours and then just lose it. They don't call it Labor for the heck of it.
Well enough of my old stories... you both know that we are all excited about this new addition and it is going to be great to see both of you as parents..... We know you will not be the perfect parent because they do not exist...but you will both do the best you can do. Keep the info coming and the pics, and get plenty of sleep, and fresh air...

Love the 3 of you...

Grandma Gail

Teapot said...

Go baby Go!

Anonymous said...

Luckily I have one of the best birthing hospitals in the country that I go to, but I think it is wonderful that you have the opportunity to deliver at home. And believe me, doing it natural IS the way to go. I went natural with Zigi and my recovery was lightening fast compared to when i delivered with an epidural with Cooper. It was a wonderful experience and the pain is SO worth it. Think about how many women did it before they had the option of having the drugs! I'm so proud of you for making that decision, and I'm going to do it again with my third! We are women, can you hear the roar??